Who We Are
Hawa Feminist Coalition was founded by young feminists all under the age of 35 in 2018 with aim of promoting the safety, equality, justice, rights and dignity of girls and young women in Somalia where women and girls bear an unequal brunt of hardships exacerbated by poverty, conflict, religious and cultural limitations which promotes strict male authority.
What We Believe
- We believe that for feminist movements to be transformative and strong we must continue to work across our similarities and differences. We also must interrogate power and privilege both within and outside our movements.
- We strive to mobilize and strengthen collective action and practice meaningful ways of working with each other
- We believe in a full application of the principle of rights including those enshrined in international laws and affirm the belief that all human rights are interrelated, interdependent and indivisible. We are committed to working towards the eradication of all discriminations based on gender, sexuality, religion, age, ability, ethnicity, race, nationality, class or other factors.
- We strive for transparency, responsible use of our resources, fairness in our collaborations and accountability and integrity with our members, partners, funders and the movements with(in) which we work. We are committed to reflecting on our experiences, sharing our learnings openly, and striving to change our practices accordingly.
- We develop more feminist, rights-based activities and programs to create long-term change in our community.